Sunday, January 1, 2012

Spy Games

                                                               

The mornings of dew had turned into mornings of frost, delicate in arrival. Still the sun refused to give up its post to the oncoming winter. Early morning melodies were exchanged for the honking of geese flying overhead; their perfect formation broken by a lone straggler. It was a new season and my soul was longing to hold tight to what was left of summer. Every year I faced a quiet grieving, the unwillingness to welcome the shorter days and darker hours.

My morning shuffle down the stairs had become routine; the creaking of my knees competed with the stairs. Only Shadow, our dog, and I dared to face the morning chill. I flipped the thermostat and listened for a sign of life from the basement. Drats, it's dead again, I thought. Another morning of cold hands and feet. Shadow let out his usual whimper as he stood by the door. Opening it, I began to take a mental note of my list for that day. A flood of anxiety washed over me. Looking around the house, I unknowingly began another list. So much to do and never enough time. How can that be? I am not working now and still I cannot keep up with all the demands.

As the morning moved forward I sat sipping my warm tea, trying to warm up by the fire, and took note of the room. The evidence of a home well lived stood before me. There were shoes scattered across the floor, wadded up socks from one pair of stinky feet, two laptops, unfolded clothes left from the last laundry day, school books, and the remains from some one's snack the night before. My mind began to race back to the last conversation I had with the young adults still living at home. I was excited to still have my family together, but the mess gnawed at me. How many times? How many times do I have to ask them, tell them, to pick up after themselves? Lord? How can I keep going at this pace? I felt myself sinking lower.

I was not ready for the answer I was given. It wasn't even a question really, rather more of a plea; a plea for someone to hear me, to care, to come to my rescue, to take it all away. Yet, the voice that stirred within me was not telling me that they needed to change. Instead I heard a very simple statement. You're not seeing with my eyes. I knew that voice and I understood what it meant. So how? Lord, how do I see differently than what is set before me? Help me Lord, to see in a fresh new way.

Taking in a deep breath I began to look around, hoping to see more clearly this time. There over the couch hung a large family portrait. The Lord nudged me. Blessings, you are blessed, he breathed. Next, I spotted the shoes and instead of them screaming out "inconsideration" they whispered, protection and provision. The unfolded pile of clothes gave their gentle reminder of a home that is relaxing. True priorities, living life is welcome here. I thought back to my own youth growing up in a home of strict rules and the fear of living freely.

I turned to look further, and found myself smiling. Does God actually play I SPY? I glanced to my left and took in the beauty of the stone fireplace. It's familiar beauty easily overshadowed most days by the clutter. Yet it provided so many warm memories. Ah yes, Lord, warmth on a cold day, you have given us shelter from many of life's storms. The college text books, their pages still open, revealed how He has provided for us in the toughest of times and gives us direction for our lives. Above the mantel hung the words, “God Bless This House.” He's been our refuge and has blessed us greatly.

I felt the Lord's peace wash over me, far different than the anxiety worn only a few moments prior. Suddenly I was seeing clearer. He had shown me that his love is in the unseen things that are right before our eyes, we just need to have eyes willing to see. He calls us to align our eyes to his, allowing us to have his perspective. He sees through the eyes of faith, love, joy and peace. It's the ultimate treasure hunt to which he is calling us. Let's pull out our faithful magnifying glasses each day and experience the miracles in the mundane. I SPY anyone?


Matthew 6:19-23
Treasures in Heaven
19 “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20 But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. 22 “The eye is the lamp of the body. If your eyes are healthy your whole body will be full of light. 23 But if your eyes are unhealthy, your whole body will be full of darkness. If then the light within you is darkness, how great is that darkness!











































2 comments:

  1. Very nice. I love the thought of God playing I Spy. You have such a unique way of putting things. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Ellen. I think the Lord has more of a sense of humor than we like to think. I doubt when he walked the earth he was all work and no play. Rather, his faith and vision allowed him to love life and laugh while doing the work of the Father. All the greater reason to appreciate his sacrifice for us.

    ReplyDelete