Monday, August 5, 2013

Ripples

                                                                               (Google Image)

This morning I was having a difficult moment. We've all had them from time to time, right? I was feeling a bit discouraged about my purpose in life. I mean what exactly am I suppose to be doing right now? I'm not working, my kids are grown, and keeping house has lost its appeal. You'd think at almost 50 I'd know by now how to find my niche. Then I began to wonder how much of a difference I have made on this huge planet; have I simply been a taker rather than a giver? Have I have been obedient to the call of the Lord or simply gone my own way? Has my life made an impact or am I simply camouflaged in this world? Do the daily activities I walk through make a difference? And so, I began to pour out my most vulnerable thoughts and feelings to the Lord. In a way that only He can, he gave a sweet answer, that I trust is for all believers. He revealed that some are created for Great things, while others for Simple things. Yet both are of the same value to Him. Why? Because we have the Father's touch; and though we may not see how he has chosen to use us, we can rest knowing that our lives do have an impact. For some his purpose may be one humble act that is like a ripple gently flowing into a might wave. When discouragement comes our way, we can remember that sometimes its the humble things that have the greatest impact. So I may not be a missionary in Africa, or on the front lines fighting world hunger or other important causes, but I can rest knowing that He does indeed have a plan for each of us and I can trust him to direct me on the path he has carved out for me. As we listen to his gentle voice guiding us, we may never know how our obedience through faith can change the course of history, one simple act at a time.

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a wonderful piece Lori, so honest, thought-provoking and philosophical all at the same time! I'm 45 and now after so many years I know what I want to do with my life; but I've left it a bit late! God has it all in hand though, and we all deserve a second chance, a second bite of the cherry.

    You've brought children into the world and been a homemaker; for me, and many others, that's a full-time occupation in itself deserving of medals, lots of money and hugs all round! I hope you at least get nice hugs now and again!

    No, you're absolutely right, we can't all be presidents or prime ministers, we can't all make a big impact on the planet and save millions of people; most of us make do and mend, and we get by how we can, living for the most part anonymous lives; hopefully of course we have family that love us and we have a few nice friends that care about us, and we have our creature comforts if we're lucky. For me, I have a desire, a strong desire, to be a published author; I work at it everyday in fact, but I have no interest in fame, in being known; I'm known to God, and my family and my friends and that's a big enough public to be going on with.

    It's not the big things that count, it's often the small things that make the biggest impact. On holiday recently I offered a homeless man an all-day bus ticket but he said he had no use for it being homeless; so I gave him a £5 pound note; I think I made his day as he grabbed both of my hands and thanked me profusely. I try to give to homeless people often, not necessarily because it makes me feel good or because I am rich because I'm not, but because in the midst of my own problems I remember that everyone else has their troubles too.

    p.s. Deleted my first comment because of annoying typos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello,
    I would not want to be any one else other than who God has made me. I find it is first about the difference HE has made in MY world, then I am able to make a difference in this world, because who would not want to share the beauties of the Lord. In both worlds, it is He that makes the difference. I look back on my life and realize that through the difficult times He has given me empathy with those who go through the same things, and therefore I am able to have sympathy. Also, through the good times, I am able to have the greatest of pleasure and encourage others that there is always hope and that all things are possible with God. Like your little poster says 'Life does not have to be perfect to be wonderful', although, knowing that the Lord is in my life makes all experiences wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,
    I really like this post. I'm 26 and I'm currently unemployed. I have no kids, I didn't go to college, and I'm unmarried. I spend most of my days doing housework, reading, then coming on the computer writing on my blog, then reading other blogs I like, then going onto facebook and reading some more, mostly posts from my other Christian friends from around the world. There are many times I wonder about my purpose in life, I try not to compare where I am to where other persons my age are, but there, most day's i'm fine, then there are those awkward moments when i go out and old high school friends ask me what am I doing now, work wise, and i struggle trying to figure out what to say. Ever since i was 18 I had a job several odd jobs, trying to get by, even when i was working and i would see old mates out and they would ask what i'm up to, I use to try to change the conversation because I didn't work anywhere impressive, and now that I don't work it's even more awkward when I'm in those situations. I'm glad I got saved and decided to live for Christ my perspective has changed a lot, but there are those day's still when I think is there something i'm suppose to doing, is there somewhere i'm suppose to be, is this what my life is going to be, what's my purpose. I pray God helps me to understand someday. I really like this post because it really hits home for me.

    ReplyDelete