Wednesday, June 5, 2013

The Circus is coming to town


                                             

                                                                  

google image





When I was a little girl, my mother and I took a trip to see the Three Stooges in a circus event in St. Louis. Once at the Arena we stood in an ocean of people waiting in line for tickets. My mother insisted I hold her hand. I was not one to hold still and stood in awe at the colorful clowns who paraded throughout the crowd. Still I held my mother’s hand. Anticipation and excitement rose as I spied all the decorations and the smiles of all the children. I never have figured out when but somewhere along the line I let go of my mother’s hand. With my back to her I stood staring at the high ornate ceilings surrounded by windows; the sounds and colors almost too much to take in. A little boy next to me began to chat and we laughed and jumped up and down at the idea of finally getting to see the circus and the Three Stooges.


As I continued to talk to my new friend, the line began to move forward and like a good little girl I reached for my mother’s hand, my back still to her. I’m not sure how much time passed before I heard my mother’s voice call to me. I turned and to my horror I wasn't holding my mother’s hand but that of a stranger; a lady with a kind face. Thankfully Mom wasn't very far ahead of us in line and she turned and saw the expression on my face. The lady whose hand I held looked down at me, only then realizing I was not her daughter (who had also become distracted by the clown’s antics). She and my mother exchanged smiles and my mother took my hand. I remember my mother gently scolding me to pay attention or I could get lost in the crowd.


Isn't it strange how a memory will suddenly creep up on us at the craziest of times? I was flooded by this particular memory yesterday as I drove about town. I could not have been more than 4 or 5 years old at the time. Strangely, I can’t recall the circus at all. As I pondered on what had occurred I was thankful of the outcome that day. There is a spiritual lesson here as well.


Just as children we can be distracted by the things of this world. Our eyes divert from the safety of our Heavenly Father's hand and onto the things that dance about for our attention. Often times it is things that appear to be good and innocent that draws us away from the hand of our Father. And before we know it, we’re in the hand of the enemy. Thankfully our Father, just like my mother did, seeks us. He is faithful to seek his lost ones. How different the outcome could have been for me that day.


And so let us fix our eyes on our Father and abide in his safe embrace. When we lose sight of our Heavenly Father and his loving hand, danger lurks ready and willing to take our hand and lead us elsewhere.


1 John 2:15-17


New King James Version (NKJV)


Do Not Love the World





15 Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. 16 For all that is in the world—the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life—is not of the Father but is of the world.17 And the world is passing away, and the lust of it; but he who does the will of God abides forever.




2 Corinthians 4:18


New International Version (NIV)


18 So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.


Psalm 63:8


I cling to you; your right hand upholds me

1 comment:

  1. This is an interesting story and reminds me of something that happened to me, possibly in Wales when I was on holiday. I think we were as a family looking at a stone circle, perhaps, or it was a fairground, I really can't remember, but I wondered around and then saw something and being a nipper of about 5 at the most 6 I pulled and pulled at the jumper of what I assumed was my dad, again and again and shouting at him to look at whatever it was, only then to look up at a stranger's face staring down at me and me feeling shocked! And of course, as you say, there is a spiritual message that is more important. Lovely post.

    ReplyDelete